Makes about 10 delicious, light waffles-
(cook up what’s left over, it freezes well. Just pop them in the toaster & serve)
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. self rising flour
3 T. brown sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 c. buttermilk
3 eggs, separated
1/3 c. butter (melted & cooled)
1. Prepare your waffle iron & spray lightly with oil-
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking soda, & cinnamon.
3. In another bowl stir together the buttermilk, egg yolks, & butter.
4. In yet another bowl beat the egg whites until just shy of stiff.
5. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients, until almost fully blended.
6. Gently fold in the egg whites.
7. Using a ladle or tea cup, put about 1/2 c. batter for each waffle into the prepared waffle iron.
8. Cook until crisp & golden, about 2 minutes.
9. Serve immediately with E. Waldo Ward & Son syrup (our family favorite is Apricot).